February 8 – March 29, Eight Mondays at 7 pm Eastern Time, with bonus session April 5.
- Catch up on any homework you missed.
- If you would like to practice anything in particular, let Steve know at email@example.com so he can prepare an exercise.
- Create a gratitude list – 10 things each day you’re grateful for. Of that list, choose one person you will share a gratitude with, ideally in street giraffe unless they’re an NVC geek. For inspiration, see page 160, which has 150 often overlooked blessings.
Words That Liberate
The movie referenced in the class is about the use of NVC in prison is “Words That Liberate” https://nvctraining.com/media/_2021/NVCA/Words-that-Liberate/index.html
You will need to register and then the film is available in the recordings.
Homework is on page 135
Read the handouts:
- ”From Anger to Transformation”
- “Screaming in Giraffe”
- “Screaming in Giraffe: Alan Seid”
- “Anger’s Two Kinds of Reactivity”
Read Chapters 9, 13, and 14 in Nonviolent Communication: A Language of Life.
- 9- “Connecting Compassionately With Ourselves”
- 13- “Liberating Ourselves and Counseling Others”
- 14- “Expressing Appreciation in Nonviolent Communication”
- “Guidelines for Giving Empathy”
- ”Empathy: Ways We Stay Connected to Feelings and Needs”
- ”Empathy Without Words”
- “The Power of Silent Empathy When Words Don’t Work”
- “Self-Empathy Fundamentals”
Chapter 10 in Nonviolent Communication: A Language of Life: “Expressing Anger Fully”
Homework is on page 105 in the class notebook
Read the handouts
- ”What Keeps Me From Making a Request”
- ”Don’t Criticize Me vs. Doable Requests”
- “When Every Request is a Demand”
- “Let’s Make Our Life Together More Wonderful”
Read chapters 7 and 8 in The NVC Book
- 7 “Receiving Empathically”
- 8 “The Power of Empathy”
Watch Video: Part 4 of the NVC basics DVD: “Questions and Expressing & Receiving Gratitude” Time marker 2:23:25-3:05:57 on the YouTube version.
Page 92 – The homework includes
- Reading the handout, ”Information in Celebration.”
- Chapter 6 in Nonviolent Communication: A Language of Life: “Requesting That Which Would Enrich Life”
- Watch Video: Part 3 of the NVC basics video: “Empathical Hearing Others” Time marker 1:30:41- 2:23:20 on YouTube version.
- Do the partner exercise
- Page 86 – Homework, includes readings, video, and exercises
- Page 80 – Read Risk the Dreaded Experience
- Page 82 – Read The Fear of Feeling or Feelings
- Page 84 – Read The Quick Coherence Technique
- Page 76 – Read Alarm Feelings – Anger, Guilt, Shame, & Depression
- Do page 71, including reading chapter 4 in the book and the two partner exercises
- If you haven’t already, do last week’s homework, especially watch 0-47:16 of the video and the “Take in the good” handout on page 57
All page references are to the course notebook.
- Communication that blocks compassion exercises on page 66, starting in the middle of the page.
- Watch “NVC Marshall Rosenberg – San Francisco Workshop https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7TONauJGfc
- Complete the Gratitude Exercises on page 156 and consider starting a daily gratitude practice
- Read “Take in the Good” on page 57
- Look at “Steve’s Fabulous Friend Fest” on page 175
- Read “150 Overlooked Blessings” on page 160
- Read “Take in the good!” on page 57 and consider creating a velcro appreciation journal by writing down your appreciations for the people around to. Refer to this journal when they do something that you don’t appreciate so that you can regain appreciation for them.
Compassion Camp Co-Director and Nonviolent Communication Faculty
As a lifelong peace, justice, and ecology educator and activist with over 40 years of community living, Steve has sought to integrate personal and social transformation in his own life, in the communities where he lives, and in the larger society. His passion for integral living and thinking has led him to study and experiment with a wide range of spiritualities, psychological systems, and social theories as they relate to creating a more just and sustainable world.